Which Mode of Transport is Right For Your Freight Shipment?
The goal for business owners is to minimize transportation costs and meet customer demands demand for their products. Transportation costs are dependent on the distance between the source and the destination, the selected method of transport and both the quantity and size of the shipped product.
The U.S. boasts four million miles of roads and a railroad network that could circle the globe several times. Our country’s complex transportation systems allows decision makers several options when shipping products. Choosing the best one requires knowing the pros and cons of them all:
The infrastructure of the roads in the US plays a major role in handling cargo across the nation. Shipping products via truck is the most common mode used in logistics in the US today.
- Cost effective
- Fast delivery
- Great for short distances
- Ideal for transporting temperature-controlled products like perishables or pharmaceuticals
- Shipment subject to traffic delays
- Trucks susceptible to bad weather and delays
Large volumes of trade can be imported/exported through ships on ocean vessels. Through waterways, ships transport cargo from one country to another. STC offers LCL (less than container load) and FCL (full container load) via ocean.
- Ideal for transporting heavy and bulky freight
- Great option for products with long lead times
- Volume advantages to pricing
- Seasonal advantages to pricing
- Extended transport schedules
- Difficult to monitor location of goods in transit
- Shipments susceptible to Customs restrictions
- Only 1-3 additional transit days compared to truck service
- Cost effective alternative to ground services
- Safe and reliable
- Suppliers and customers not always located near a freight rail depot
- Intermodal shipment may be needed to accommodate the final delivery
- Extended transit times when compared to truck schedules
- Fast delivery, usually between 24 and 48 hours
- Reduces lead time
- Immediate recovery from airport for swift delivery
- Higher cost
- Flight shipments susceptible to Customs restrictions
No matter which transportation method you choose for your company, STC Logistics’ extensive network ensures that your goods arrive promptly and safely, every time. If you still aren’t sure how you should ship your products, we can help. Our experts at STC Logistics are industry leading Commercial Freight Specialist and can help you decide the best shipping methods for your company. Contact us today for more information or to request a quote.