In the pharmaceutical industry, few factors matter more than a backing of solid, reliable, flexible logistics. Knowing that you can trust expedited freight to arrive in the hands of the manufacturers, medical professionals, and researchers is key to the business, yet many manufacturers settle for sub-par solutions—and suffering for it on their bottom line. Working with a 3PL company familiar with the myriad necessities of the pharmaceutical industry, capable of delivering expedited freight and shipping anywhere you need it to be, with all the appropriate precautions, isn’t just a good idea; it’s a game-changer.
What 3PL Companies Bring to Logistics
To understand the advantages a pharmaceutical company might see in its logistics by working with a 3PL, consider the nature of such a company: Experts specializing in the singular task of getting things where they need to be, undistracted by other concerns except as they interfere with the issue at hand. Most companies simply cannot afford the upkeep of a dedicated staff focused entirely on this single issue, but by utilizing a 3PL, you get that expertise sans the associated capital costs of hiring, training, and maintaining such a team with the latest in tools and software.
Expedited Freight without Error
By working with a 3PL to handle expedited freight, a pharmaceutical business gains the benefits of speed without error—the practiced familiarity of a specialist in logistics cannot be underestimated as a benefit for this reason alone. A familiarity with regulations, regional laws, changes in shipping expectations, and myriad other details which might slip by a non-specialist logistics officer will be caught and compensated for by a company specializing solely in offering top-notch freight and shipping options. It doesn’t matter, after all, how quickly you’re expedited freight should reach its destination, if a mistake makes it arrive much later.
Flexibility and Increased Security
A 3PL inherently offers flexibility in all forms of expedited freight and day-to-day shipping solutions, because such a company needs to be equipped and ready to meet the needs of very different client corporations. This means that unlike an in-house logistics team, a 3PL never runs into unfamiliar situations, needs to rush to arrange something they’ve never worked on before, or finds itself caught up by issues of scalability and general flexibility. When pharmaceutical reps receive goods, clients can have peace of mind with scheduled appointment times and restricted signatures. By working with a 3PL, pharmaceutical businesses can confidently adjust to the market and know they have a reliable logistics solution ready to keep up.
Meeting Special Situations
Ultimately, the biggest trap in pharmaceutical industry logistics lay in unusual situations, unanticipated by anyone. The regulations at hand, the expectations of customers and business partners, the limitations of even the most expedited freight system, these come together to produce scenarios with no clear ‘win’ in sight. By working with a 3PL, however, you gain access to the single trait most valuable in resolving unusual circumstances: experience. The varied logistical experience of a 3PL’s staff, combined with the myriad tools and data such a company keeps at hand, mean you’re far more likely to develop workable solutions to the messiest expedited freight situations when you engage the services of one.
Ultimately, it falls to each individual company to determine the benefits it might see from working with a 3PL—if you’re confident in your in-house solutions and rarely encounter problems, you may consider the expenditure unnecessary. Just keep in mind that even well-established systems can be streamlined and perfected with the assistance of an extra set of eyes and the application of specialized tools—and when you perfect your logistics, streamlining expedited freight and cutting wasteful spending in the process, you’re certain to see an improvement on the bottom line.
STC Logistics specializes in expedited freight logistics solutions, including ground shipping, for the pharmaceutical industry. We are one of the top trusted pharmaceutical logistics companies in NJ. To learn more about our pharmaceutical logistics, click below!
Third Party Logistics (3PL) providers offer a wealth of benefits to the retail procurement industry. Given their extensive knowledge of supply chain management, these providers deliver a comprehensive solution for assembly, distribution, packaging and warehousing. When opening a new store, employing a 3PL gives companies reliable competitive advantages through advanced logistics solutions, in turn, amplifying profitability.
There are several reasons why a retail company could benefit from a partnership with a 3PL provider, including:
- Cost savings
- Extensive knowledge
- Resource network
When opening a new store, one of the greatest concerns is capital. However, by utilizing a 3PL provider, companies will save on time and money. A logistics provider will eliminate the need for staffing, technological tracking and upgrades, transportation and warehousing.
Instead, the store will systematically request new inventory by a specific date and the 3PL will deliver. This will eliminate costly mistakes, thus lowering risks and allowing the business to grow. Billing, distribution audits, optimization, paperwork, staffing and training to ensure the store’s products are shipped accordingly are all the responsibility of the logistics provider.
One of the primary reasons a company should work with a 3PL provider to open a new store is their extensive expertise with all aspects of the supply chain. 3PL’s are aware of all logistics best practices and remain up-to-date on the most recent technological developments. Their software can provide advanced reporting, automated inventory management and procedural visibility to ensure the store can track and report upon the movement of goods.
With the ability to scale labor, space and transportation based on inventory requirements, companies that function during seasonal time periods will enjoy minimal strain during this transition. This allows stores to consume more warehouse space and resources during the busy season and less during the off-season.
Moreover, a 3PL provider gives companies the opportunity to expand into different regions without any logistical barriers. Most logistics companies have strategically-located distribution centers to guarantee the quick shipping of goods. This decentralization strategy allows for lower costs and improved delivery times.
With the resources to adjust and improve all aspects of the supply chain, 3PL providers will utilize the quickest and most cost effective method to ensure their client’s needs are met. By implementing the resources to restructure the supply chain at any time, logistics providers can analyze and monitor practices which will eliminate inefficiencies thus streamlining the process. Although the store will only see the fruit of these labors through on-time, accurate deliveries, it is important to know that 3PL providers are working to deliver the best costs while keeping efficiency and optimization in mind.
Finally, with a vast network of resources at their fingertips (which provides a competitive advantage over internal supply chains) 3PL’s utilize a resource network ensuring every step along the supply chain is efficient and cost-effective. For instance, logistics providers can utilize relationships to acquire volume discounts which will lower overhead while maintaining fast service. Stores will benefit from the relationships their 3PL have built through an improvement in the bottom line.
About STC Logistics
Founded in 1992, STC Logistics specializes in retail procurement and new store opening logistics with a pledge to deliver superior and flexible solutions. We maintain a resolute commitment to offer the most valuable and resourceful technological solutions to its clients regardless of destination, size or weight. As a result, our company has become a trusted provider of logistics solutions for many industry partners, especially in the retail procurement industry.
To learn more about how our logistics specialists can help you open your new store, contact us by clicking here or call us at 800-547-4324.
For more information about selecting a Third Party Logistics (3PL) partner, download our free checklist by clicking below!
While logistics is a most crucial matter to companies in any industry, getting pharmaceutical logistics solutions right can be a matter of life and death, depending on the situation. Hospitals, primary care physicians, urgent care facilities, pharmacies, and a number of other establishments need to have medicines readily available in order to care for their patients; sometimes for life threatening situations. Fortunately, the top pharmaceutical logistics companies have specific services tailored to the unique demands of this industry.
Shipping Checks and Balances:
Whether pharmaceutical logistics solutions involve goods that are being shipped by air, land or sea, the most reliable companies will take measures to ensure that cargo arrives promptly and in one piece by performing the following procedures:
- Creating temperature controlled environments
- Utilizing the correct padding, boxing and stacking methods to prevent jostling or breakage
- Taking extra security measures to ensure the correct parties are handling and receiving the goods from when the cargo is picked up until it is delivered
- Offering several transport methods to offer rush delivery if necessary
By offering such a broad range of shipping services, the most elite pharmaceutical logistics companies can help customers with even the most specific needs. This allows their patients to receive the medicine they will ultimately need for recovery. Even under strained circumstances, there are always pharmaceutical logistics choices that top providers can decide on to ease stress of those who need the product the most.
Companies that offer all of the most reliable and trusted pharmaceutical logistics solutions are also experts at knowing how to manage even the most complicated of orders. These notions go far beyond getting the timing, packing and shipping methods correct. Customers in the pharmaceutical industry have specific demands that need to be met in a timely manner, and pharmaceutical logistics companies can respond successfully by offering the following:
- Specialized freight management solutions to prioritize each shipment based on customer needs
- Tracking with technology that allows up to the minute real-time reporting so that customers always know where their shipment is
- Vast and far reaching distribution services to ship any freight just about anywhere in a specific time frame
- White glove services that compliment courier, fulfillment, delivery and customer service solutions so that both the merchandise and customer are treated with respect
Pharmaceutical logistics companies are aware that there are not just lives, but a tremendous amount of money at stake with each shipment. One false move can cause a shipment of medicine to break, expire or end up lost and can result in a loss of tens or hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. This is why the nature of the pharmaceutical logistics solutions that specialized companies offer is so vast.
The Importance of Building Trust with Your Logistics Provider:
When handling incredibly sensitive materials, there is nothing more important than facilitating an air of truth between customer and pharmaceutical logistics providers. While the act of trust may begin with promises, it always ends in the deeds of both parties involved in each transaction. This is why top pharmaceutical logistics companies go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure long and lasting relationships. Successful logistics companies dealing with the pharmaceutical industry pride themselves on building a series of connections with lifelong customers who trust many of the lives of their patients to the overall performance of the logistics company itself.
STC Logistics strives to continue to be a trusted partner for pharmaceutical logistics solutions, including air shipping and ground shipping. Contact us today to learn about all of the logistics solutions that we can provide for your pharmaceutical shipping needs.
There are many different types of freight being shipped every day across land, air, and sea channels. Some items tend to be far more fragile than others,thus require specialized attention in order to prevent an imminent disaster. The most ideal logistics solutions needed for cargo of the most delicate nature will come from carriers who embrace the concepts behind white glove service and understand its overall importance. As a result of such diligence, any business can feel secure knowing that their logistics affiliates are willing to take the time to carefully secure, handle and transport their cargo based on the unique physical attributes each shipment possesses, as well as the price tag of the items themselves and the time-sensitivity they require.
Countering Potential Shipping Issues:
Just as different types of freight require different levels of hands on attention, each unique shipping method offers its own challenges regarding the way that freight must be handled. Fortunately, the use of white glove service presents a measurable counter for any potential threat that may or may not occur during all steps of the shipping process. Direct line-haul service can be used to minimize transfers, while special attention can be given to pick up and delivery methods. Transit times are reduced and your freight is tracked consistently to ensure on-time deliveries of your most time-sensitive cargo.
When moving shipments by truck, some of the preventable dangers that can be experienced on the road include:
- Jostling of freight that could easily cause it to crack, break, or otherwise be damaged – remedied by packaging and securing the freight with the proper equipment
- The ever present threat of getting into an accident while on road – accidents occur, but timeliness in recovering from them is determinant in completing the job.
- Problems that could develop based on the temperature of the cab depending on the type of freight that is being shipped – temperature controlled equipment and temp tabs can regulate and monitor these issues
- Theft or vandalism that could easily happen while a truck is parked at any location – inventory tracking technology, secure cross-docking facilities, locked trucks and video monitored loading docks are some precautions taken to minimize theft
Problems that could be encountered by sea are somewhat similar and include:
- Waves from bad weather conditions that could easily cause the freight to be bounced around – contracting the correct size equipment and securing cargo is important in preventing slippage
- Long travel times that could cause time sensitive freight to expire – by knowing anticipated transit times and the nature of the product, your logistics company can lead you to choose the best service based on your type of freight.
- Temperature issues, especially if freight is being kept below deck – remedied just as any temperature sensitive situation
The issues for freight moving by air are less serious, even though this is considered to be the safest means of transport:
- Jostling that could take place during take-off and landing – packaging practices are crucial
- Turbulence in the air – D-containers may be implemented to prevent moving inside the cargo space
Any business will find that logistics companies who pride themselves in offering white glove service can effectively combat each and every one of these issues. In doing so, such companies will assess if all items are neatly packed and secured with proper materials, all boxes are sealed correctly, delicate items are wrapped in the proper way, everything is loaded in the neatest order possible, and the correct type of shipping method used for particular types of freight. Packaging assessments should be made and solutions offered to your shippers so they can reinforce products prior to shipping. Without this level of service, there are too many potential disasters that could befall the freight in question which ultimately means lost time, lost money and unhappy customers.
By employing proper white glove service, logistics companies like STC Logistics are ensuring that those they work with will never have to fret in regards to even the most expensive or delicate types of freight. Because the top logistics outfits take their time to develop a unique solution, born in practices of white glove service and then custom tailor it for each and every item, it makes their service standards worth looking into. Because freight must ultimately be shipped in one manner or another, choosing the safest and most secure methods simply makes sense, which of course is precisely the aim of white glove service overall. Any company bold enough to embrace white glove service standards will be rewarded with personalized service, fewer pieces of damaged freight, faster shipping times, and happier customers overall.
To learn more about how you can safety ship the most delicate and high importance items from a trusted logistics provider, please click here.
If you are planning on shipping your freight via ground shipping, you are probably choosing between rail or truckload shipping. There is no “wrong choice” per say, but there may be a more ideal choice for you depending on your company’s goals. Conserving energy, time and resources is no doubt important for your business and supply chain, so it’s important to weigh your delivery method options. Consider the pros and cons of both rail and truck shipping methods.
- Very secure
- Fuel efficient
- Shipment size
- Intermodal sizes and weight (including Tare)–
- 20’ – 52,900 lbs max
- 40’ – 67,200 lbs max
- 45’ – 67,200 lbs. max
- 40’ – 67,200 lbs max
- 53’ – 67,200 lbs max
- Intermodal sizes and weight (including Tare)–
- Transit time is longer
- Average shipment time from California to New York is 8-10 days
Trains are superior in the realm of energy efficiency for shipments over land. A train’s steel wheels produce very little kinetic friction. On the other hand, a truck’s thick tires create heavy static friction. This means that a truck’s engine consumes more fuel. Trains also move at a slower pace, which greatly improves fuel consumption. The aerodynamic drag caused by moving a heavy freight at fast speeds is diminished via rail. Therefore, if your concerns for supply chain management heavily rely on the energy efficiency of your vehicles, and if your shipment is a medium to long distance route, rail shipments may be more ideal.
- Quick transit time
- Approximately 4-5 Days shipping time from California to New York.
- Quicker availability
- Higher fuel charges
- Limited size,
- 53’ FTL Van
- 26 standard 48×40 pallets
- max 45,000lbs
- 48’ FTL Van
- 24 standard 48×40
- Max 45,000lbs
- 53’ FTL Van
On the other hand, time is money. If your company is fast-paced, a train’s lag in time can make all the difference. Because trains move slower than trucks, those who rely on quicker delivery times may choose the faster truck. Trucks are also more flexible, because they are not reliant on railways. They can operate on any roadway throughout the continent.
In short, the answer to the question posed in the title of this article is: it depends.
Both shipment options have pros and cons. STC Logistics’ Intermodal Service combines Ocean, Rail and Truck to offer door-to-door transport in North America. If you choose Rail shipping, keep in mind that you will most likely implement Intermodal Shipping in order to transport your items to and from the rail yard. Weight plays a major factor in transporting goods. By utilizing more than one mode of transportation, you can experience the benefits of both modes of logistics. The team at STC Logistics can handle the drayage, rail negotiation and transport of your intermodal shipment.
For more information on Select Transportation Logistics’ Intermodal Service or to request a quote, contact us today at email@example.com
If you are shipping freight, you need to keep several factors in mind when taking the time to prepare your shipment. Freight shipments can include large boxes or palletized items, usually with a minimum weight. Depending on the packaging, you will have to prepare them in different ways.
To determine if you should palletize your freight, keep in mind that minimum billable charges can impact the billing of your shipment. Palletized freight keeps a multi-piece shipment together and protected from damage. Each pallet is considered one piece. However, non-palletized freight is categorized by boxes or containers, which aren’t secured. Each box or container is considered one piece.
Preparing a Palletized Shipment
- Select a pallet. Pallets should be large enough that they can accommodate your freight without any part hanging over. If any piece hangs over the edge of the pallet, your shipment will be susceptible to damage. Consider a pallet with four-way forklift entry. They are the preferred pallet because they improve handling.
- Stack your packages on the pallet. Put a label with complete address information, on each box or container. Align the boxes in columns for greatest stability when stacking. Keep the top layer flat and avoid a pyramid shape.
- Secure your shipment to the pallet. Use banding or strapping in order to secure your boxes to the pallet. Use stretch wrap to prevent the pieces from getting separated from the load.
- Label your shipment. Your pallet should have the address information on it, including shipper postal code and the consignee’s information.
Preparing a Non-Palletized Shipment
- Ship your items in corrugated boxes, crates or containers. Consider double boxing your items if they are heavy.
- Remove all labels, tags and markings from boxes that are being reused.
- Protect your items. Use at least 2 inches or more of cushioning material to protect the items from each other and the edges of the container.
- Securely seal the boxes with reinforced tape.
- Label each piece with complete address information, postal code of the shipper and the consigner’s information.
Whether you are sending a freight shipment near or far, STC Logistics is here to help the process go as smoothly as possible. Our 24/7-customer service and 36 status checkpoint system monitors your freight every step of the way. Contact us today with further questions or to request a quote.
Shipping pharmaceutical products is more complicated than shipping any other item. There are specific guidelines and regulations involved in shipping. It’s important to take the necessary steps to ensure that the pharmaceutical products are intact and useful to the end consumer after shipping.
There are a number of things to keep in mind when choosing a logistics company to ship pharmaceutical products:
- Temperature Control – Temperature is a primary concern when shipping pharmaceuticals. Products must be shipping in containers that are well insulated. Temperature-controlled shipments ensure that delicate pharmaceuticals are kept in optimal conditions.
- Security – Pharmaceutical cargo types are susceptible to theft and can be extremely dangerous, depending on the type of pharmaceuticals. The greater the number of people who handle the freight, the greater the likelihood that the shipment would be lost, damaged or stolen. Direct, non-stop routes ensure that the delivery is secure with the least amount of handling. Other important security precautions that a logistics company should take into consideration are cameras in the warehouse, satellite tracking and total visibility.
- Proper Licensure –When choosing a logistics partner, verify that the company has all of the proper licenses and equipment necessary to ship pharmaceuticals.
Using a third party logistics company can help your pharmaceutical company pinpoint the exact mode of transportation necessary for your highly valuable products. ShipPharma is a pharmaceutical shipping provider servicing pharmaceutical companies and their fulfillment partners. With ShipPharma, appointment deliveries are guaranteed to arrive in a two-hour window. Additionally, customer service reps are carefully trained to manage your shipments while maintaining the software.
For more information on ShipPharma or to find out more information on shipping requirements for pharmaceuticals, contact STC Logistics today.
Freight shipping is an option that can save businesses time and money. A reputable third party logistics provider (3pl) has a vast network of carriers, discounts and insurance options that will help make freight shipping a hassle free experience. If the items that you are shipping are bulky, over-sized or on a pallet, then you are in need of a freight shipper.
Here are five tips to ensure your freight shipping success:
- Streamline your processes. The best way to prevent logistical nightmares is to streamline your internal management process and outsource task related job functions. Allowing your logistics partner to use their network and systems enables you to stick to your core competencies. A third party logistics provider can decrease your company’s lead times, improve rates and allow you to step back and focus on the bigger picture of your company. A quality 3pl will provide real time updates for your shipment online and also be able to integrate with your systems. This will enable you to keep on top of your product pick to delivery at all times.
- Choose a Provider. Make sure that before you choose a logistics company, you understand their basic service packages, pricing structures, turnaround time. Another important thing to learn is how/if the vendor can handle large-scale distribution/rollouts. A good 3pl will be able to coordinate these large projects efficiently while offing volume discounts.
- Consider freight dimensions. Dimensions should be rounded to the nearest inch and include width, length and height. Carriers rely on freight dimensions to determine the number of individual loads for a specific truck. Dimensions are essential information in order to know the various shipping options a good 3pl should have.
- Be mindful of packaging. Crating or palletizing your freight shipments will ensure that your freight is not damaged in transit.
- Label your shipments clearly. Every box or crate in your shipment should have a label which indicates both the shipper and consignee complete address. If your packages get separated, a clear and informative label will be necessary. Additionally, you may add shipper and consignee phone numbers, bill of lading number, carrier pro number and the date shipped. Online pickup requests can provide you with an electronic bill of lading that can help streamline the pickup process.
If you’re not sure who to select for your third party logistics provider, you may need a checklist of information to help you out. It is critical that your logistics vendor is superior with customer service, integrated technology and service flexibility. Download STC Logistics’ free checklist, “What to Look for in a Third Party Logistics Company,” for more information on 3pl providers. If you are ready to move forward, Contact Us today.